Individual Princeton students and student groups can apply for funding to support research and development activities outside the classroom in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields. Projects that also relate to entrepreneurship and design thinking are particularly encouraged.
- Individual Princeton students and student teams
- Must consist of at least one engineering student and/or the project must have an engineering focus
- Funding may not be used for junior independent work or senior thesis research*
*Seeking funding for junior independent work or senior thesis research?
- A.B. students should search the Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE)
- B.S.E. students may apply for School of Engineering and Applied Science thesis and independent work funds
Separate Keller Center funding opportunities are available to students through:
Individual student: up to $1000
Student group or registered student organization: up to $3000
Students may seek supplemental funding through SAFE or through other academic departments and centers.
Application opens: August 16, 2019
Application deadline: October 6, 2019
Application opens: January 13, 2020
Application deadline: March 1, 2020
Note: For a complex event or travel (both domestic and international) you must submit the application at least three months before the proposed activity. This allows time for planning, to research costs, and to obtain travel approvals and permits.
How to Apply
- Discuss the proposed project with your faculty or staff advisor before beginning your application
- Request a letter of recommendation from your advisor
- Create a budget accurately estimating the costs to be incurred
- If the proposal includes travel review and follow the requirements for travel below
- Have the recommendation letter and budget handy (both in PDF format) and submit the application below:
How Applications are Reviewed
Keller Center staff consider the following factors when reviewing applications:
- Quality of the proposal and strength of the advisor’s endorsement
- Feasibility of the budget
- Number and quality of applications submitted
Applicants can typically expect to receive a decision within two weeks after the application deadline.
Concur travel request approval is required for domestic and international travel.
- Requests must be entered in Concur at least one month prior to your trip (ideally well in advance).
- International travel applicants must follow all university policies for international travel, including safety, permits and approvals.
- Review the rules regarding the rental or use of vehicles while on University-sponsored trips.
Applicants must provide proof that they have obtained all necessary approvals prior to funding being released.
By the deadline indicated in the award notice, applicants must:
- Provide a full account of your project expenses, including portions of the award covered by other funders
- Provide the Keller Center with copies of your receipts
- Return unspent funds via check or money order payable to Princeton University Trustees and delivered to the Princeton Entrepreneurial Hub, Room 109
- Submit a final project report to the Keller Center containing:
- A narrative account of the research/activities undertaken with the support of the award
- An acknowledgement to the donor of the funds